View Single Post
ak1728

Member Since Apr 2019
Default Apr 18, 2019 at 11:20 PM

I have bigger more existential questions I am trying to find answers for but need to get this one off my chest and I will try to be as objective as possible. I got assigned to this project about a couple of months back which was being led by someone at the same rank as me. We are both due for a promotion during the upcoming review. Ever since I joined the project this guy has tried to put me down, been rude and critical of my work and what not. I work as a software engineer and to begin with I wasn't familiar with the technology of the project. I made it clear at the very outset that I need some time to learn and yet he assigned me enough work to keep me busy the entire day. Trying to accomplish something when you're unfamiliar takes more time than usual which leaves less time to dedicate to learning which means even longer to get to full productivity and the cycle continues. All along he's made critical comments saying I take too much time because according to his assessment (he been on this project for 5 years), it should take a couple of hours while it takes a couple of days for me. Plus he gives me incomplete information to do my work making me chase him. At one time he kept me through lunch whereas to somene else who just got started he asked if they need to step out for lunch. Sometimes he gives me information a couple days before the task is due saying it's simple enough to be done in a day. I have spoken about this to another colleague in the team. This guy said he spoke to him but he only seem to calm down temporarily. I also spoke to my manager and asked to be transfered to another project saying this does not align to my long term goals. I did not want to mention his behavior lest my manager thinks I am diffcult to work with. I have also confronted him several times and tried to be as polite as possible but he keeps going on. I am putting in good faith effort for 6-7 hours everyday and spending the rest to learn and improve, but it's just not enough and he seems to be critical of it. I'm not sure I can do anything more. I get the feeling he's doing this to get promoted because he knows he's directly competing with me. At this point given that I am feeling overwhelmed (we just had a baby) I don't even care about promotion. Just damm tired and exhausted of all this.
ak1728 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky, Open Eyes, unaluna

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky