View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
74.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 20, 2019 at 07:43 AM

Ex-marriage counselor was quite warm and focused a lot on connecting with clients. Some of that was body language and tone of voice, some of it was lots of validation, self-disclosure, joking around, etc. It was very effective for me and I felt quite connected to him and safe with him, though I think it also really fueled my paternal transference.

Current T, who knows ex-MC, has mentioned his (ex-MC's) being "warm and fuzzy" to the point that he's "squishy." T has said that in comparison, he is "caring, but not warm and fuzzy." That seems fairly accurate, but he does show some warmth and/or fuzziness to me at times. It's like I can draw it out of him, in a way (maybe that's a transference/countertransference thing?) But I think his not being over-the-top warm like ex-MC was has helped keep me from developing the same sort of transference for him. He is good at creating and maintaining a connection and rapport though--one way is that he'll joke around with me (which is a way I connect to people). We just sort of "click" in a way that I didn't with ex-T (she was less on building the connection and wasn't particularly warm--well, near the end she was, I guess). He's said before that he thinks the relationship is the biggest determinant of success in therapy, that it's less about the specific methods used (he's cited studies with this finding).
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote