Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2010
814 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 20, 2019 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild at heart View Post
I’m curious what people’s experience of therapy is around this. Maybe some people can benefit from a blank slate T? When I was seeing my blank slate T, a lot of childhood emotion emotion came up, maybe because she was blank slate. A problem was that I seemed to get stuck with the childhood emotion and feeling insecure, so much so that it affected my everyday functioning. It seems to me that it can be helpful in therapy to uncover this childhood emotion, but it couldn’t be soothed in my therapy with her, maybe because she was so blank slate and I couldn’t feel a connection with her?

I experienced infant emotional neglect, so I wonder if for me particularly, the blank slate didn’t help because I have more need for connection in therapy than others, and I have the propensity to feel a greater sense of insecurity?
W-A-H,
My blank slate experience was, as Facebook status choices say, complicated.
This therapist was a Karen Horney school trained analyst, and 98 percent of the time was blank slate.

After scornful bully co-therapists and a syrupy mother-figure know-it-all, I mostly appreciated the therapist as a pleasant blank slate. She still communicated empathy and her few well-chosen words were actually pretty smart. Her scant responses didn't bother me because I understand this was the rule. I never thought her intrusive or doing a power trip with me.

However I took the thrice weekly sessions into obsession and madness. I literally was near-hallucinating, like I was on a chemical free drug trip. I saw God and signs and omens in everything. I felt in touch with the universe. From reading, this might be termed a spiritual emergence or emergency.

Unfortunately this brain trip did nothing to improve my on-planet functioning, and I lost several important friends during my hallucinatory phase. When I see a street-corner schizophrenic thinking he's the messiah I feel I understand him though.
missbella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote