CartDown
CartDown has no updates.

3 yr Member
53 hugs
given
Default Apr 20, 2019 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
I cant answer why your therapist would ask you if you wanted to be a certain disorder, only your therapist can answer that...

what I can tell you is that most treatment providers (mine included) that I know get a bit concerned when their clients come in asking whether they have a specific disorder. if I walked in to my treatment providers and said do you think i have such and such, they would ask me questions to find out why I am wondering this or if I possibly may have a mental disorder called fictitious disorder imposed on self or if I actually do have the symptoms and have been researching and trying to self diagnose.

its just normal for my treatment provider, and those that I know to question when someone walks in their door asking if they have a specific mental or physical health problem.

example if a friend of yours walked up to you and said "do you think I have the measles?" what would you say...

most people would say " why are you asking me that?" "do you want to have the measles?" "do you know someone with the Measles?"

All kinds of questions like this to find out why your friend is asking you if you felt they had the measles right.

in normal life people dont just walk up to their friends, family, and doctors asking whether they have this or that problem, especially if they dont want to have it. so when it happens it raises caution flags and questions as to why someone is doing that.

my suggestion is sit down and think about why you asked your therapist if you had a specific mental disorder. whether it was something you read about and felt it matched you, or whether you knew someone with it, or you have been researching that disorder... or..... well there are lots of reasons why someone may think and focus on a mental disorder.

then talk with your treatment provider and let them know why you asked about whether you had that specific disorder.

I didn't just walk in saying I had something. I've been working with him for over a year, I've looked up the disorder and felt I related to a good chunk of it. I also have OCD, so yeah, I can get obsessive. I just wanted him to say no, now I think he's thinking I'm trying to **** with him.
CartDown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote