View Single Post
still_crazy
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2016
3,342 hugs
given
Default Apr 20, 2019 at 06:32 PM

ok. in bipolar I, there has to be some intense mania. i was diagnosed as -both- schizophrenic (mild schizophrenia...never heard of such) and bipolar I during my manic episode. i was also given involuntary shock to make me stop being crazy.

in bipolar ii, there should at least be hypomania. that's...often actually fun, but some people find it makes them agitated. loads of depression.

it does get more complicated than that. i am prone to psychotic depression. that's common in some people w/ bipolar I, i don't think psychotic depression is supposed to happen in bipolar II. and...psychosis can happen in mania, too...but psychosis does not generally occur during hypomania. and then...

treatment. everybody and their mama is on an 'atypical' antipsychotic, but really...they're best reserved for -severe- problems. in some bipolar I individuals, that means they're not even necesary, all the time. take during mania, perhaps during psychotic and/or agitated depression, then stop. in bipolar ii, i could see an 'atypical' for some forms of severe depression, agitation, etc., but they're not ideal as 1st line agents.

interestingly enough...people with bipolar i are prone to severe tardive dyskinesia. :-( more of an issue with the high doses of the old drugs that were used back in the day, but still an issue, now. i dont know about bipolar ii people and TD...-best to avoid antipsychotics if you can-
still_crazy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote