View Single Post
Omers
Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2010
3,133 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 21, 2019 at 10:18 AM

Similar but not the same situation but it might help...
When I had my first session with Awesome T I told him I had elected to have a psych evaluation and that I had a Dx that I was concerned that he would not feel comfortable working with. I asked T to meet me before I disclosed the Dx so that he had a chance to see me not the stereotype. We talked about it about half way through, I have Autism. He felt that I was high enough functioning, knowledgeable enough and open enough that we would be OK... but some T’s don’t have the training to work with certain Dx.
T also has me listed on my paperwork as “adjustment disorder with depression and anxiety” because this Dx is the least potentially damaging/limiting to me with insurance or in life in general down the road... even though I have the Autism Dx and clearly qualify for complex PTSD... both could negatively impact my insurance at the very least.
Third my T my T is very anti label. He knows I am afraid of interpersonal connection and he wants me to feel safe. He doesn’t need to make it into a disorder... there is a very valid reason(s) I am afraid of connection... it is a healthy, protective response... it isn’t like pneumonia or strep throat... it has just out lived its usefulness.

Wild eyed with fear
-Blackmoores Night
Omers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote