View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default Apr 21, 2019 at 12:18 PM

Hello Photonate,

sorry you are struggling. A lot of doctors and dieticians now refer to the stomach as "the second brain" because there is such a strong link between gut health and mood. What we eat affects our mood and our mood affects our stomach. With junk food, you can get into a loop whereby your body craves that type of food the more you have it and the more you have it, the worse your mood is because you're lacking good nutrition. So, finding a way to break that loop could be really valuable.

From behaviorism we know that people are much more successful in changing their behavior if they replace a problematic behavior with something else rather than simply trying to eliminate it. So I am wondering what you could replace the junk food with? Sounds like you are trying to self-medicate in a way with the food...its your response to negative feelings. I think the key might be to find an alternative way of responding to the negative thoughts/feelings.

There are lots of options out there...different for each individual....physical exercise (cardio can give you a nice buzz and mood boost)....mindfulness, meditation, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

Can you sometimes predict when you will have a craving for the junk food? Like in the evening after work or something? When you know its about to happen, or right when you feel it starting, try replacing the food with another option. Changing your environment could help. If you tend to eat the junk food at home, head outside for a walk or a jog or browse around a bookstore. You could bring some sugar-free gum to chew if there's an oral component to your cravings. If there's a restaurant or drive-through you go to, avoid that particular place/direction while you try a replacement activity.

Are you lonely? I've had a few friends who said they ate more when feeling isolated...they were trying to comfort themselves with food. One friend told me: "For me, food is love!" If that's part of your struggle, maybe you could try volunteering or sharing a hobby you enjoy with a group. There are MeetUp groups in a lot of places. It's a way to connect and have fun with new friends; not a dating site.

Here are a couple of guided meditations if you're interested:

LET GO of Anxiety, Fear & Worries: A GUIDED MEDITATION ➤ Harmony, Inner Peace & Emotional Healing
YouTube

GUIDED MEDITATION - Clearing Negativity
YouTube

I wish you peace, hope, and a bright future. You deserve it!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote