View Single Post
sophiebunny
Veteran Member
sophiebunny has no updates.

5 yr Member
77 hugs
given
Default Apr 21, 2019 at 11:00 PM

I had a psychologist who diagnosed me with schizophrenia without ever consulting my psychiatrist. I was raised by schizophrenics and suffered a lot of trauma because of it. Somehow my psychologist's diagnosis got into my electronic medical record and every time I had a unrelated physician's appointment the first thing they did was ask me about my schizophrenia. It was so traumatizing I stopped going to physicians all together. I was so afraid my psychologist was right, ie. I was the people who raised me, I was terrified to ask my psychiatrist. I carried the diagnosis around for a long time, silent about it. Finally, I got the courage to ask my psychiatrist. He was stunned and pretty angry this had been done to me. He reassured me I had bipolar 1 disorder with psychosis and PTSD with psychosis but I was definitely not schizophrenic. He tried to clean up my electronic records so I wasn't traumatized going to see physicians, but every once and a while I get a new Dr. who asks and treats me like I am.

Moral of the story...be careful who's diagnosing you and always ask for confirmation from a psychiatrist. MDs are the only people with the knowledge base to distinguish psychotic disorders from each other.
sophiebunny is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote