View Single Post
Anonymous52333

Default Apr 23, 2019 at 08:55 AM

Hey! I would really consider going to the ER immediately. Let me tell you my story. Last Sunday, I had a wave of severe panic attacks. When all was said and done, I was left with some minor chest discomfort and felt generally tired, and found it hard to breathe sometimes. After 2 days off feeling this way, something told me to go to the ER. I honestly thought I'd be examined and sent home (just like other times) and at least feel better mentally after confirming it was all just due to my tough panic attacks.
Nope. They determined I was having or had a heart attack, admitted me immediately, did an emergency angioplasty, and ended up installing a stent in my right corinary artery which was found to be 95% blocked.
I am still in disbelief honestly. It happened so quickly, and I am lucky to be alive right now. My prognosis is excellent and I am humbled by all of this.
I am 46 yrs old. I had absolutely no reason to believe I could possibly be having any heart related issues. In fact, I just passed a complete cardiology testing less than a year ago. My labs done in Feb were perfect as they always have been. I eat a near perfect diet. I walk about 40-50 mi per week between my job and personal outdoor pursuits. My only health problems are my mental ones. Like you, I did not suspect anything other than effects of panic attacks to be my problem...as you are right now. I had no reason to think anything else.
My cardiologist came to speak with me after I had recovered from the procedure. In our discussion, I learned that the cortisol that is constantly being released in our bodies when we live with anxiety and panic disorders can build up inside the arteries, and it is like glue. He believes my quick and sudden blockage was caused by that cortisol build-up grabbing otherwise normal cholesterol traveling through my system. He said that he's seeing this happen to people like us more and more, and it is scary. He said that those who experience panic attacks can commonly have such extreme physical symptoms, and develop a "tolerance" to those symptoms that would have any other person calling 911 immediately.
We become desensitized because we just know these are the things that we have to live with, and the mental fear is all in our minds... Because we're not really going to die...right?
So PLEASE go have yourself evaluated at an ER immediately. If they find nothing, that is amazing. But as I've just learned, you cannot take the chance. I would probably be dead right now if I didn't go to the ER last Tuesday against my better judgement.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
hope2010

Thanks for this!
hope2010, rainbow8