View Single Post
Anonymous41422

Default Apr 23, 2019 at 09:19 AM

I think the responses to this post (and therapist’s actions) speak volumes about the inherent confusion that can occur in therapy. Therapist says something she doesn’t mean, with an underlying purpose. Client is upset and confused. 10 different people interpret the therapist’s actions 10 different ways. No clear answer, so client must go back to confusing therapist to unwind questions and feelings. Which is a good thing, but begs the questions:

1) Even after discussion with the therapist, what is the likelihood of the client to question future actions of the therapist? (“What do you all think she meant by…..?”) Such questioning happens to a large number of clients even with the most transparent of therapists.
2) Is future questioning going to lead to obsession/rumination over small, insignificant therapy events?
3) Will obsession/rumination over therapy events get the client closer to her end goal of therapy? Greater insights maybe? Or is it an unnecessary distraction?
4) Will the client become paranoid that she is being manipulated in other non-manipulative situations?
5) Will a history of confusing behavior from the therapist (even one incident) cause the client to question positive feedback from the therapist? (“Does she really like me? She says she does…”)

I don’t have any answers to this, but I am hoping if the OP expresses her desire NOT to do therapy this way that the therapist is receptive to better transparency and honesty. It does seem positive that the therapist was able to contain whatever it was she was doing to within the therapy hour and didn’t let the client spin for a week.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote