View Single Post
sezchwarn

Member Since Sep 2015
Default Apr 23, 2019 at 07:08 PM

I'm trying to learn more about a particular social issue (amongst a few) that I am dealing with.
My girlfriend is a very likeable person. She's exceptional at creating great rapport with people and never fails to bring a relaxing, warm energy to a social dynamic; partly why I fell for her. When we're alone it's great. When we meet one of my friends, their faces light up and the flow of conversation/ attention can become uni-directional. I at first attempt to join in but their conversational interest in each other is obvious, and I end up feeling a bit like I'm the third wheel at a date (though their interest in each other is platonic, not romantic). It's a huge blow to one's self-esteem when friends you've known for years have better rapport with someone they've met a few times than you. Kind of makes you feel like 'why do I bother'.. so I sit there silently, feeling a bit embarrassed, feel socially worthless and annoyed with my ex for ignoring me. I feel like saying "fine, be friends, I don't need you" and storming off, but of course I don't. I don't think they are actually doing anything wrong, so I don't overtly show any upset, yet I can't help feeling angry and depressed about it. I end up feeling less close to her, yet ashamed for feeling bitter.
What would help is if I could learn more about this- is it common- when I look up 'jealousy' I seem to find only stories and articles about people being romantically jealous, not platonically- what does it look like from an outsiders perspective and what can I do.
sezchwarn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Open Eyes