View Single Post
Anonymous55879

Default Apr 24, 2019 at 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I have a BA in Eng Lit with a concentration in multiethnic lit.....

.....where I will most likely have to fall in line and will have to bend to a districts' ways in order to have a job or do I want to go further?

I could become certified to teach high school and it wouldn't be horrible but I do not think I would have the freedom I want. [/SIZE]
I have been a Pre-K and elementary school teacher plus I have substituted in Pre-K through 12 classes. Most public school districts expect you to "fall in line", the ones that expect you to teach such and such on this date and for this long and this way are the least enjoyable to work in. From reading your posts, you are a very idealist person and would not be able to "tow the line" in a district which runs counter to your ideals to to great of a degree. There will never be a district, community college or university which matches your ideals 100 percent but perhaps it could work if you find one that matches your values 60% or more and gives some autonomy. Also, the principal in the school can help make it more bearable but the manditory curriculum is the biggest driver. I have worked in a private preschool and three public school distric districts. I really liked one district plus I worked under an awesome Vice Principal in that district as a Title One teacher (K-5)--I loved it. Then when we moved and I got a job in a new district as a 2nd grade teacher, I really hated how they did everything. Part of the problem was I was comparing them to the former district but most of the problem was the philosophy, lack of autonomy and attitiude toward the teachers and students. I did not have a "bad" principal but she also had very little autonomy (always in district meeting/training) and the school was understaffed. Funds were being spent of the Superintendents expensive pet projects rather than staffing this districts schools the way the former district did.

So if you can find a private or public school which matches your beliefs to a great enough degree then teaching full time might work. If there are no schools like that near you then maybe try a community college/university (I know nothing about the working conditions there) or go a completely different route. I am currently grading student achievement tests (remotely) for a company called Pearson (a UK Corp) and am certifying with VIP kids (a Chinese company) to teach English remotely to cute young Chinese students. Neither job gives me much autonomy but I find the students voices that come through in their writing and the interaction with little kids to be uplifting.

Good luck finding a path.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky, sarahsweets