View Single Post
Anonymous52333

Default Apr 24, 2019 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvyrself View Post
It is very unfortunate that people keep posting with unfortunate misunderstandings about transference. Yes, we are supposed to like our therapists at least enough to work well with them , and we might be attracted to them. HOWEVER if this becomes overpowering IT IS NOT GOOD. Yes, talk it out with them and they will explain the boundaries. If you continue to have these thoughts, change therapists, because you are supposed to be doing therapy to solve some of your problems, not obscure them or create even more problems with this compulsion. I always use professionals of the same sex because I think they understand me better, but the added bonus is that I dont have this problem.
I don't think all attraction towards a therapist falls under the transference category. I agree the therapist needs to be comfortable enough to discuss it and explore why a person is feeling this way, but it's a much larger conversation than boundaries in my opinion. I also respectfully disagree that a person should go see another therapist if the feelings don't go away... Not necessarily. For some people, like myself, having an attraction to, sexual feelings for, or however it gets labeled can be a motivation force allowing the person to be more open and receiving in the therapy environment. These feelings don't always ambush therapy or create more problems.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
H011yHawkJ311yBean, LonesomeTonight