eskielover has no updates.

15 yr Member
14.5k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 25, 2019 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybear View Post
I’m guessing I’m the only person here who has ever screwed up at work...

The worst one was when I was 17..

It was something that I obviously wasn’t interested in or “suited” to

If I had had parents they wouldn’t have “encouraged” me to apply for that job......

I Should Always Define Myself as Worthless for not being good at that job and being sacked
My first non-job/job was as a volunteer in the grade school cafeteria when I was in grade school.....simple task.....keep the food dishes there for the kids to take. It moved too fast & I was always running behind. Way too stressful. Too long ago now to remember the details but just remember I didn't do that for long. Great start at a work attempt.

I was 17 or 18 my first real job. I was a music major & some music guy (in the 70's bafore computers) was writing a music correspondence course. Turned out I didn't know what he needed. Did some other flunky tasks for him till he tried to cheat me on the money he said he would pay for the task. We had a show down....I won!!!!....but would NEVER do any more work for him after that.

While going to college I decided to learn data entry so I could earn pretty good money to pay for my education. I had always typed fast & liked technical. Good first job but working 6pm to 6am then going to college classes after that was way too exhausting. Got another data entry job with a paint supply warehouse. It was actually successful & I actually got to know the IBM guys that supported & programmed their little computer system. One day I really made a fool out of myself though. My machine had worked the night before when I left. Next day I couldn't get it to come on. Tried everything I could think of then called IBM service. They came out....turned out it seems the cleaning crew had moved the machine & unplugged it so they could plug in their cleaning equipment....the service guy gave me "the look" & said "it doesn't work if it's not plugged in". I was embarassed I hadn't thought of that possibility....but definitely a learning experience I never have forgotten. When something isn't working now first thing I check is power cord.

My degree career as a computer design engineer went pretty well until I needed a fill in job until the other company got their follow-on military contract. I worked at this small company....honestly now I can't even remember what they did. I was in constant conflict with their way of doing things & was not quiet about it. Quite a few of the others agreed with me. I think I maybe worked there 4 months before I left....& the others left right after me.

That's life....some companies are a fit....others aren't.

I went back to the company that got the contract. Many of the guys I had worked with before others different. Some issues but dealt with. When the contract was finished I had a hard time finding a position because aerospace was crashing. I knew I was bad at calculus & one position needed that. Thought I would try the policies & procedures group even though I was much better at technical. It was a miserable fit & I struggled to get used to it & perform well let alone know what I was doing. Fumbled my way through. Everyone in the group was REQUIRED to put together a proposal to present at the national symposium for aerospace policies & procedures. I pulled out all the buzz words from documents they had given me.....threw them up on the air & then tried to arrange them in some fashion that sounded good. I had NO IDEA what I was talking about. Go figure..right before Christmas break my proposal was the first one they had accepted to be presented. I totally lost it over the Christmas holiday & kept calling in sick rather than go back after the 1st of the year. We had a major earthquake in our area that destroyed the roads & the valley I had to drive through to get to work. I ended up trying to go back for 2 days (riding with my neighbor) I totslly couldn't function & went out on medical leave of absense. Lol.....perfect timing not to do the presentation. I had no idea at the time what I was experiencing was a total breakdown that ended up landing me on permanant disability for depression & anxiety. Can't screw up a position more than that

Yes.....many of us go through bad experiences in the work force. Have learned a lot from every bad experience & even more from the good ones. All part of life.

Lol....I never listened to my parents encouragement or discouragement because I didn't think they knew anything anyway.
If I had listened to my dad I NEVER would have gone to college & got my degrees. I sure had no desire to continue living like my parents & I sure didn't want to marry someone to create my status I knew I could earn for myself with lots of fumbling & hard work because no one in my family had ever gone to college or gotten a degree....so I had no mentoring to refer to & had to figure it all out for myself

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
Fuzzybear