Magnate

Member Since May 2017
4,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 26, 2019 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeTonight View Post
A T could also be well-trained in all that and talk the talk about things like transference and the importance of working through it and you can buy into that and you see them for years and only in retrospect can you realize that they didn't know what they were doing and likely did more harm overall than good. Referring to ex-MC here, who is psychodynamically trained and spoke seemingly knowledgeably about transference and such things. So it can be really hard to tell...
Yes! This is absolutely true. I have had stages where I have been doubting my T and wondering about this exact thing. And then it's like, is this doubt just more of my stuff around trust or whatever, or am I ignoring a real red flag? I think one thing that's helpful is bringing up the doubt and seeing what happens: is the T defensive, do they try to coerce you to stay, do they ponder the meaning and then offer possible interpretations about why you feel this way, etc. It's this really delicate thing where the T needs to be solidly invested in working with you, but not so invested that they try to get you to stay to meet their own needs (financial, emotional, etc).

Thanks for this!
feralkittymom, LonesomeTonight, SlumberKitty