View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Apr 26, 2019 at 11:52 AM

Getting yourself out is a key component to recovery and a healthy lifestyle. Whether that be mental health related or not. It is the isolation we often place ourselves in that makes everything seem so much worse and rather hopeless or dreary.

I was where you are - until I started to drag myself out. At first it was a Mood Disorders Support Group. I for the first time didn't feel so alone. For a while, the once weekly meeting was my only outing. As things improved I got a little social with the other participants. Yes, it was very difficult to keep going at first but eventually I looked forward to each meeting. Gradually too it became easier to do other things in general.

Volunteering has been a great help to me. It gives me a way of feeling as though I contribute, have value, and 'working' yet without the investment of myself and in particular the worry over my performance. Volunteering has been a blessing.

I still have problems with self worth but that has significantly improved since I started involving myself in things. One thing that has in turn improved as a result is my sense that I deserve things, I deserve some happiness. For example, I deserve to make myself happy doing art - which not only is a pleasant distraction but incredibly therapeutic. I've been down lately and dragging out my art supplies has allowed me to feel worthwhile again. Perhaps there is a hobby you might find some self worth out of too.

So, in addition to getting yourself out, finding ways to contribute, and please yourself are important therapy also.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote