View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default Apr 26, 2019 at 12:28 PM

You raised a really interesting and important topic Skeezyks. Although I do not live with GID, I would like to learn more because I am always drawn to supporting groups who are misunderstood or marginalized by society.

I have been really struck by how folks with GID often seem to be denied empathy by groups seeking empathy for themselves. For example, I recently heard a lesbian say that the LGBTQ term was offensive to her because she did not want trans folks to be grouped with gays and lesbians. I found that very strange. Yes, all folks in that group are individuals and should be treated as such....but surely a lesbian knows what it feels like to be misunderstood and marginalized by society....so why lack empathy for trans folks?? She said some very unkind things about trans folks.

I've also read that there is a subgroup of feminists who are weighing in on the trans bathroom issue in ways I find objectionable. A while ago, I read posts on PC from trans folks who struggle with the bathroom issue and I found their posts heartbreaking. Such a simple need....to use a toilet....causing so much fear and suffering. The suicide rate in the trans community is a huge indicator of a need for all of us to do better with how we relate to those folks. We can and should do better to include everyone.

What's my point? I don't know why some people are gay or have GID and some don't and I'm not sure it matters as much as how we respond to them. Though, it could be argued that perhaps there would be more empathy if the general public learned more and better understood these groups. That said, it seems perfectly natural to me that someone living with GID would have a desire to know what triggered it. I've lived with chronic depression my whole life and I have a hunch that my "Why?" will never stop. Though I am not trying to liken GID to depression, just giving an example from my own struggles.

***Please note that I am a cis woman (I think that's the right term) and I apologize in advance if anything I have said here is not helpful or unwittingly offensive to anyone in the communities I mentioned. I come to these topics from a place of curiosity and empathy but I don't always know the right words to use...it's just not so familiar to me...if that makes sense. I could only imagine what it feels like to live in this world with GID since that has not been my experience. What is very familiar to me though is feeling like a freak, like I don't belong, like my brain doesn't fit with the world I live in or the people around me. Peace to all.

Last edited by Anonymous44076; Apr 26, 2019 at 12:44 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Skeezyks