View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default Apr 26, 2019 at 07:18 PM

Interesting thread Rdgrad15. I am comfortable going out for evenings or even vacation alone so there have been times when I wanted to save my seat or make it clear to the server that I hadn't left and didn't want the table cleared while I left to go to the restroom. On a few occasions, I have asked a kind looking person to watch my belongings for me for a few moments. Usually I'll say, "If you are going to be here for a few more minutes, would you mind?" They have always said yes and there was no problem. If they declined, I also would not see a problem since I am asking a favor, not giving an order. People have also asked me to watch their things and I typically don't have a problem with it. There was only one time it bothered me...when the guy returned it became clear that he was high on something and began trying to flirt with me which was unwanted. Though that is not so much an issue of watching belongings as respecting a woman's boundaries.

That said, it depends on how I'm feeling and where I am. I would NEVER ask someone to watch my things at an airport or any area where security is a concern. And I think if someone asked me at an airport, I would politely decline because the risk is too high in that setting.

Nobody has ever asked me to watch their child though I am sure there are some random and rare situations that could arise whereby someone might need some help. Just recently I waited with a woman who had called the police because she witnessed someone else who needed help. The woman's child sat quietly in her vehicle and that was fine but you just never know what kind of unexpected scenario could arise. if the situation went south, I would call the police immediately. As I move through life, I try to be cautiously decent toward strangers and not immediately assume the worst of them. There has been more than one stranger who did me a kindness when I needed it over the years. I believe that most people have good intentions.

If anyone is interested, there's a fascinating book about 'Smart Trust.' That is something different from blind trust and gullibility. The author even gives a beautiful example of offering small loans to impoverished women who ordinarily would not receive credit from anyone. It worked out really well for both parties. I have a couple of friends who are so cynical that they didn't believe me when I told them about it. Check out the book if you like Stephen Covey.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
rdgrad15