View Single Post
Louella

Member Since Apr 2019
45 hugs
given
Default May 01, 2019 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypts_Of_The_Mind View Post
Honestly - I have PTSD and anxiety, as well as a couple other things - and yes one can trigger the other. It's referred to as a "domino effect".

I am in the same boat as you - have not had issues for several years until recently and now the things I used to use just are not. It's been so long I'm having to ask "was this an anxiety/panic attack" sometimes bc I don't always recognize the symptoms as being "definitive".

From what you describe, it sounds like you had a trigger that set off your PTSD and in turn your PTSD triggered off a panic attack. (domino effect)

As to how to prevent that particular type of thing from happening .. if you know your triggers you can avoid them, or if you know how to control your responses to them - be sure to be in tune with when you are starting to get too worked up around the thing that triggers you n remove yourself from the trigger immediately.

Once you find yourself in a PTSD episode - grounding techniques work sometimes. If you can catch yourself before you get too far into the episode sometimes you can prevent the domino effect from occurring.

If you find yourself in a panic attack - that's when you need relaxation methods or techniques.. I am not sure what you have tried so I dont know what to suggest.

For coping during the time between sessions - I would reccommend daily walks. Walking is good for many reasons. I wrote a post regarding it in the depression forum but it pertains to anxiety for the same reason.

You can read it if you like.

Serotonin is well-known for treating depression but it is also something the body naturally produces .. and something which the body uses as an anxiety attack inhibitor, so when you read through that post - do not dismiss the information regarding serotonin, please. It will help a lot. Much love to you. ❤
Thank you for taking the time to reply and write such a thoughtful reply. I’m sorry to see you are also struggling, I hope today has been a better day for you?

I think the trigger was that something from my past popped into my head and it kind of felt so real like I was there and it was happening right then. That’s something I haven’t experienced before. I get flashbacks/thoughts and images of what happened but never has it felt like it did then.

The stupid thing is I told my t during a phone appt that I didn’t have panic attacks (which at the time I hadnt) and then suddenly here I am having one a week later.

I’m not even sure if I still have ptsd or if it can go away? When I was diagnosed around 10 years ago I went to maybe 2/3 counselling appointments which I didn’t find helpful. I then moved away from the area and tried to forget about it all. My depression after the event did go away but I have had anxiety I would say probably since it happened and now I have decided to delve into the past again I’m feeling really down and depressed again so I really don’t know where I stand on if I still have it or not, who knows. I guess I might find out after a few face to face sessions.

Thank you for sharing the link to your post. I have been trying to get out and walk more as it’s part of my exposure therapy but I do find some days I just can’t get out and about.
Louella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Crypts_Of_The_Mind