View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,330 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 05, 2019 at 07:25 PM

I don't think you have anything to lose by applying for SSI. If I were you, I would start that process. Go online and look for law firms that specialize in helping people get SSDI and SSI. They are easy to find. Start researching the subject, and pop-up advertisements will appear. It doesn't matter where they are located. Call a few of them. They will call you back real fast, and they're nice to talk to. Each one will ask you this question: "Do you have a doctor who prescribes psych meds to you, and is your doctor supportive of you seeking disability?" Your doctor should be. Your psych issues are substantial. Simply ask your doctor if he/she would provide a letter to a law firm confirming that you have been needing treatment and have been unable to recover yet, despite getting treatment. I think your doctor will do that for you.

It's great that you want to get training and employment. But I think you are underestimating the seriousness of your condition. A reliable income, that belongs to you, even if it is small, can bring an element of stability and security into your life. Then you will be allowed to earn some additional money. Start the process of applying for SSI. I strongly believe you qualify. See what the law firms think. They won't even take your case, unless they think you have at least an 85% chance of being approved. You are going to need SSI when you are elderly. But they may bump up the age for getting that for persons applying just on the basis of being elderly. So go for it now. You very well might get it in 3 months. I did. And I probably didn't have as strong a case as you have.

You have a better chance of being approved for SSI, if you are not currently going to school or working. So go after the SSI first. Then, if the real estate thing works out - great. You may lose the SSI, but I think they give you a period of time to see if your employment is systainable. Here's a link to read about how working impacts your receipt of SSI:

Can You Work While Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits? | DisabilitySecrets

The rules for working while getting SSI are much different from the rules for working while getting SSDI. Start googling the subject, but make sure you read the sections specifically for recipients of SSI.

Any one can go to a Social Security Administration office and fill out an application. But a law firm will go after all the paperwork needed and make sure stuff is filed before deadlines. Plus they know exactly what to do, if you get a denial.

I'm about as good as anyone when it comes to filling out forms. But I was very glad to have an office full of paralegals and clerks checking up on everything. (Most of the work isn't even done by lawyers, but that's okay. Those clerks do this stuff every day.)

Don't starve to pay for some classes that don't even guarantee you a job. You don't know when you might have another breakdown. Get some security in place now, while you are feeling not so bad.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, luvyrself, Wild Coyote