View Single Post
DechanDawa
Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2015
1,043 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 07, 2019 at 03:49 PM

Maybe that's why people who spend a lot of time alone are labeled as eccentric. I always start dressing rather bizarrely when I have been single (and isolated socially) for a long time but people seem to like it and comment. Presently I have a pair of snakeskin patterned Doc Martens I wear when I go out...and lots of young people (and some older, too) compliment me on them. And I am not young! Their purchase was the direct result of spending too much time online shopping! The other day the young guy who makes the sandwiches at Subway said, "I like your boots!" and as I was walking out he said, "No, make that...I love your boots!" I stopped, turned around, vogued a bit and smiled. I didn't say a word. I was taken by surprise.

I think the OP made some wonderful points. If I may make my own interpretation...society at large is too dense, shallow, and dumbed down to appreciate special, subtle, and often wildly talented individuals. In the make believe society as portrayed in Star Trek...there would be a place for empaths and other individuals who communicated on more subtle levels. But our present society is too crude and badly formed. That why I love Sherlock Holmes. He kind of makes fun of that fact...and in the BBC Sherlock he and his equally brilliant brother refer to most people as "goldfish."

We non-verbals (I tend to talk about quarter as much as the average person) need to assert ourselves subtly and make tiny waves. I do this with my clothes and jewelry. I am not so out there that I would stop people on the street...but I use fashion and person style as a form of expression.

I don't have SPD but I can relate to the Op so decided to comment. Hope that's okay.

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote