View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default May 15, 2019 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDancer View Post

I am very reluctant to answer. A little afraid to, because:

1. Things haven't been doing that well lately. Perhaps if they really were, it might be different if I could say so. I guess I could talk only about future plans that could be interesting-sounding, but the fact is, I'm still on disability and things are still tough.

2. I don't like the thought of saying yes, then not hearing back from her.

3. My husband doesn't like her, and has told me that she said something kind of hurtful about me once during one of my psych hospitalizations. He thinks she's superficial. She is, a little, but a lot of people are. I guess a concern I have is that she's gossiped about stuff to me about her best friend that I really think she shouldn't have. Knowing that, I think it's likely she's gossiped about me to others.

4. I feel a bit guilty, because I sort of reneged on a promise/offer to her and her husband years back.

5. She'll likely only be talking about her two daughters much of the time, and frankly, I really am not interested in them. Yea, I know that sounds horrible. Sorry!

However, I am in dire need of friendships. I have basically no one outside of family and other mental health support.

Even if I agree to meet the above-mentioned friend, it couldn't be until I feel a bit better. I don't know. Next week at the earliest?

What do people think about this? Can you relate to such a situation? If enough people think I shouldn't bother meeting with her, should I just ignore her email? Or perhaps say that it isn't a good time right now, and thank her for thinking about me. It's all so uncomfortable.
1. If she was a true friend then telling her that you're on disability shouldn't be an issue of embarrassment or shame for you. Also, it's not information you need to share with her just b/c there's been time and distance between you both. That is your business -- the disability.

2. If she has ghosted on you before, she will ghost on you again. Patterns repeat themselves with friendships no matter how much time passes.

3. Your husband sounds very smart. I'd listen to him.

4. So what if you reneged on a promise that happened years ago. Always look ahead, never behind you.

5. If you know what the topic of conversation will be, then don't go.

I can relate to your situation. Each time I try to rekindle former friendships, I've been disappointed. And the blame is on me for thinking that what caused those friendships to fail could be addressed again and corrected. It can't. Maybe it can for some people in this thread, but not for me.

I wouldn't waste your time with this woman. I'd join Meetups or other social groups available to your community like knitting circles, book clubs, wine clubs, etc. and meet women to befriend that way. New experiences, means new friends.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341