View Single Post
splitimage
Community Support Team

Member Since Mar 2006
75 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 19, 2019 at 05:04 PM

I posted sometime last week that I was having a problem with my room mate and was going to have to evict her.

So I gave her a week's notice to move out on the 24th. She tore it up in my face and said she wasn't leaving.

I made sure that everything she was doing/saying and my responses in writing were all on file with the rental office, since it's my name on the lease, which has been helpful.

Today was the worst. She started screaming around 6:30 am, a neighbour came and complained. I kept trying to get her to calm down and shut up. Finally I got to the point where I called 911, but she stood over shrieking at me to put the phone down so I backed down and told the dispatcher that things were ok. Then I got a call from the rental office that they'd recieved 2 calls in an hour to complain. I said there was nothing I could do and with the next complaint they should call the police.

She left for a while, and I guess she was hanging out in the lobby muttering things, because she freaked out the office staff.

She also smashed some china, mid fit this morning.

She came back up to the apartment, and 10 minutes later the police arrived. I was like Thank God you're here, which apparently wasn't the response they were expecting. They talked to me first then talked to her, and I explained the whole eviction thing, and they informed me that because we share a kitchen and bath, I had the right to do an immediate eviction.

They agreed with me that she was delusional, but didn't think she was a threat to herself or others so they couldn't take her in under the mental health act, but they could evict her. I was yes please. More yelling and they gave her the choice of leaving on her own volition or under arrest. She left under her own volition.

Management has already changed the locks on my unit.

Now all I have to do is pack up her stuff and arrange a time for her to pick it up.

And now I also have every single window in my apartment open to try and air out the smell of smoke since she'd been smoking in her room, and there's no way I'm going to be able to rent the room until the smell of smoke is gone.

So now it's back to looking for a new tenant again. I'll be much more thorough about checking references this time.

I'm so relieved I just collapsed.

splitimage

"I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun". From my favourite hymn.

"If you see the wonder in a fairy tale, you can take the future even if you fail." Abba

splitimage is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous49426, CepheidVariable, Ford Puma, Goforward, guilloche, healingme4me, LiteraryLark, Nammu, possum220, Raindropvampire, SybilMarie, unaluna, UnderRugSwept, VerMOZZica

Thanks for this!
Ford Puma, LiteraryLark, unaluna, WishfulThinker66