View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default May 21, 2019 at 01:41 PM

Hi Raging Vortex,

what an interesting post and issue you raised! Sorry you are feeling badly!

I think it is unlikely that someone struggling with cancer would contact a complete stranger for financial assistance. That said, let's imagine it really is the case (which I very much doubt) it is not your responsibility to financially support other adults. If you are a parent of 'minor' children, yes you would have a responsibility to support them financially until age 18. Other adults need to take care of themselves. When they cannot, there are government and charitable services available to them. Folks with terminal illness are often linked to such services by their medical team.

If you feel a strong desire to help, you could volunteer at a hospice clinic, hospital, or homeless shelter or donate money/clothes/toys to one. Volunteers are always sought and appreciated.

Are you familiar with the concept of 'negative empathy?'
Negative Empathy | Psychology Today

I think you may find it useful and cathartic to read about it. I struggle with it myself at times. I appreciate the advice of allowing others' suffering to flow through us and then moving on with our life. Another way to think about it....you feeling badly today is not actually helping anyone with cancer....the negative empathy is just burning your energy.

I hope you find some peace. You deserve it
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky