View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default May 25, 2019 at 02:48 PM

Hi Patient 2. I'm sorry your mother has to battle cancer. I can certainly understand how stressful that must be for all in your family. That's great that you have survived that horrible disease. Your recovery can certainly provide great hope to your mom.

I know that such a horrible stress as illness in the family can cause mania. My mother's death exacerbated mine. My father's recent illness has triggered a bit for me, as well.

I feel for your brother, but imagine that adds extra stress for all of you. You say you have two sisters. Is it possible that you and your sisters can get together and have a bit of an intervention, of sorts, with your brother? You all should have a say in helping your mom. If you all know he's manic, it would surely be good to enlighten him about that fact, if he's lacking insight. Does he tend to take over things even when not manic? Personalities play a big part in family rifts, despite bipolar disorder.

My sister has bipolar type 2 and I have bipolar type 1. My youngest nephew had Bipolar NOS. It's highly likely that my father has bipolar disorder, too.

I'm almost 7 years younger than my sister. We had some very minor clashes growing up, but I sort of think they were run of the mill sibling clashes. I do know that her bipolar anger was often more physical, while mine was more verbal. She could definitely get to the point of lifting a chair in the air and slamming it down onto my brother's head. He didn't/doesn't have bipolar disorder, but was an "enfant terrible".

I'm not sure that bipolar type really matters so much. We all can get triggered. We all have different tipping points. We all have different base personalities and temperaments. Certainly manic overdrive amplifies these things.

Last edited by Anonymous46341; May 25, 2019 at 03:02 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi

Thanks for this!
bizi