View Single Post
Wildeve

Default Jun 11, 2019 at 02:49 PM

Have you looked into Meetups groups in your area for autistic people? You're never going to feel like you fit in anywhere. Ever. That's just part of being autistic. But it does help to spend time with other people who are autistic, because they understand what you're going through. Also, I simply remind myself that I don't have to fit in. I don't have to apologize or pretend or mimic just to make "normal" people feel comfortable. And I mean, if you do become better at socialization,--that is, if you're able to camouflage yourself and learn to mimic and play-act in social situations so as to get on better with people,--what have you accomplished? If you pretend to be someone you're not, you're not going to form meaningful relationships, and this will end up making you feel even more discontented. We live in an age where people feel like they should be ashamed if they don't have a million friends. I have one really good friend and a close relationship with my sister, but other than that, I only have one or two friends whom I talk to only occasionally. And this works fine for me! I'm like you: I love reading. And I need to have plenty of alone time. I could never, ever handle having more than two close relationships, because it would overwhelm me. So, I would look into support groups or Meetup groups for autistic people--it will be MUCH easier to form relationships with people who understand that it's hard for you to form relationships!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote