Legendary

Member Since Dec 2014
1,867 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 11, 2019 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
This is what happens with emotional neglect. It can happen without a parent really realizing it too. A parent may even mean well in thinking their child needs to feel the same way about things as they do. This can present confusion when it comes to how a person can develop their own emotional connections and bonding.

A parent can actually raise their child to become a codependent without even realizing it. Also, can raise their child to become emotionally confused and they look for a presence that can provide some kind of "unhealthy" guidance where they end up living with a person that like the parent is not capable of respecting their emotions. Notice I said "unhealthy", that's what often happens when a person grows up being emotionally neglected because the person has not experienced "normal healthy" so they don't really know what it is or even what it's supposed to feel like.

With all our technology that we have now a person can explore different kinds of groups of people and may end up having an "emotional affair" of some kind. It doesn't have to mean an emotional romance either, but instead more about finding others that can listen and hear our emotional challenges, emptiness, needs and fears. And honestly, most people that have their personal emotional challenges, just don't want to keep getting hurt.

That is what the feeling of emptiness is about though Tisha.
But I don’t feel ‘empty’. I feel what I feel and have had to argue to combat the invalidation. It’s like someone is gaslighting me that I do not feel what I feel no matter how I argue that I do, then I just lose the fight because I don’t matter to them at all— I don’t count. Now, I do matter to me. I know I am not going to make them respect me. I know it is their problem. So I’m ok with it.

For example when I complained (way too much) about being depressed and the reason for my despair, I was told ‘that’s just stupid!’ It’s steering and invalidation like that. My feelings are wrong and stupid because they say so. TBH though, I think they are right about me.

Hugs from:
Nowlosingsanity, Open Eyes