Blueberrybook
Magnate

Member Since Oct 2017
78 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 11, 2019 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
I'm honestly not sure if I have been honest with my pdoc about the ED. It's been so long since I've acted out on it that I don't mention it with my history usually. It's one of those things that I'm hesitant to have labeled. It follows you, you know. If it's mentioned, when you're in the hospital, they watch what you eat and don't let you go to your room for awhile after meals. It just seems like a lot of judgement follows when your labeled with an ED.
It's important to mention all the same, even if you don't act out on it.

I suppose there are some people fortunate enough to recover 100%, but I never have. Even when I'm doing well, healthy weight, eating fine, not overexercising, I still have those ED thoughts/voices in my head. Sure, sometimes not as much or as strong or it's easier not to act on them and ignore them, but when life gets tough, it tends to be one of the coping mechanisms I embrace first, again and again.

I was diagnosed with anorexia over 20 years ago, so yeah, it comes back all the time, or the thoughts were awful too when I had to gain weight because I was pregnant with my daughter. The doctor only asked for the standard 25-35 lb., and I gained around 30 and felt enormous and wanted to do all the ED things but couldn't because of the baby. OB made me get right on a waiting list for a pdoc even before my third trimester.

I haven't had pdocs focusing on the ED unless I let them know the thoughts were bad or they could tell I was losing too much weight and made me step on the scale. I do think it's something your pdoc, even all your doctors should be aware of. These things can affect you medically down the road even if you were fully immersed in the ED for a short time frame.

Seroquel, Cymbalta, , propanolol, buspirone, Trazodone, gabapentin, omeperazole

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost

Thanks for this!
childofchaos831