View Single Post
TunedOut
Grand Poohbah

Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 12, 2019 at 09:21 AM

Yes, I did. It was my fault because my attempt caused more that $300,000 in medical bills and I was also unable to work for a while plus I didn't want my husband (who is very financially responsible) to suffer because of me.

I am not proud that I didn't pay my bills. However, if we learn to be more responsible in the future--really examine our spending habits and mistakes then we deserve a 2nd chance. Bankruptcy gives people a second chance. Having a lot of debt causes a lot of problems making people less able to take care of themselves and others.

I recommend that you spend a lot of time looking at your expenses. For instance--can you downsize? Ie - Cut out your cable, move into a smaller place, rent a room, work to find a part time job (you can work on disability though it can cause you to lose it but we might be able to eventually make more money working than just being on disability). Take time while you are on disability to realistically assess how you can budget and eventually earn money. Don't start a job until you are ready. My anxiety does effect how much I can work. I can't handle 40 weeks as well as I used to but am now off disability and am trying to contribute to our family finances by earning some money. I am very lucky that my husband has a job but am trying to be a team player. If you are married, it is hard to become financially secure unless you work together. If you are single, it is important to figure out a way to put aside savings for a rainy day. It will be easier for you to save if you do not have debt. Putting at least $500 in the bank that you don't touch is a very important first step so you don't end up squandering the opportunity to start over financially.
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LucyD