Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2010
814 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 12, 2019 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia2 View Post
Yes the mental health profession in NYC has many elements akin to a mafia network. It is very had to remain free of it if you want to work maintaining some sort of academic association, can be easier completely self-employed and staying away from all that but then many people feel isolated and dissatisfied. Not going into it but this issue has been a big part of some things I struggle with myself and still haven't made a clear decision, let alone action. Of course it is much more complicated than just thriving or failing as an academic or clinician as the field is intertwined, in many ways, with hardcore money and politics. I can easily imagine why it took so long for Marty to break free, I am certain it is not just emotional factors but the involvement of serious business that he probably could not cut off and resolve without some serious losses as well. Having made those early decisions and investments must have brought consequences for a long time.
Knowing a bit of the NYC culture certain flavors hearing the podcast...NYU...Southampton...a frequently published doctor...celebrity clients. These events happened on an elite level.

I can easily see a practitioner following his notions after a while. Another doctor won’t see the patient with an incorrectly-set broken leg. I also can’t say definitively I’d break from a cult faster than Marty. But I’ve always had people around for feedback and vigilance imparted from an attorney father. But the doctor controlled more than Marty— he intimidated everyone in Marty’s business into silence. Then too, the doctor’s family apparently joined the exploitation.

I await NYU and NY’s OPMC responses. I’d wager the doctor continues in his rescuer fantasy as other censured clinicians have done before.
missbella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
koru_kiwi, Quietmind 2, SalingerEsme, Xynesthesia2