View Single Post
light jazz
light jazz has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Jun 21, 2019 at 04:25 PM

I am not sure if I am qualified to give any advice, but actually I graduated with a computer science degree back in the year 2000. I was pretty bad at it (but times were different - I never owned a computer before college! And I didn't really go to class...) so I never ended up using my degree. But I am not here to tell you to quit...

Actually most of my family and friends do work in the IT field. So from my experience, if you are really struggling with class, there is nothing wrong with taking a semester off. I know you may feel like you are wasting money and time, but honestly one semester or one year in your long life is not going to make a huge difference.

But if you really love doing computer work, don't waste your time if you decide to take some time off. In school they teach you many things that are heavy on theory. But can you make an app? Can you actually write a web program like a forum like this, or a program that analyze data like sports and stocks? If you take some time off, why don't you work on your own projects? If you need ideas, there are plenty of coding classes online and you can get ideas of what is the hot skills now, and also ideas of projects.

After working on your own projects, it may help you with your future classes. And having a portfolio of your own would definitely help you with your future job search. And it should give you a better idea on whether you are well suited to become a programmer. Good luck!
light jazz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote