View Single Post
Wildeve

Default Jun 26, 2019 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perunica View Post
Hi to everyone,
I’m new on this forum! Sorry for my English it’s not my primar language.
I’m 40 years old, and I’m still struggling with issues with my parents. I always used to have very conlictual relationship with them. My father is a narcissist, an overt one, and my mother codependent. I never really feel loved, I always perceived that my parents love was conditional, and I had to fulfill they expectations. As soon as I could I left home, and went to live in another country (I was 23).
Now I see them 2 or 3 times a year, they usually visit me for 3-4 days, once a year, and I visit them 2 times a year for 3 days. I respect them but I don’t feel any love for them. Now they are at my home, visiting me, but I feel so irritaded all the time. I’m trying not to react on the things that bother me, but I’m so bad mooded all the time, I have troubles breathing, got some joint pains and I’m so nervous. They don’t really care for my bad mood, they don’t even notice. They just care about stuff I do, they take photos of my achievements to show off to their friends, saying they are proud of me. Other times I would get upset with some things they do or say to me, and we get into a conflict, then they usually tell me that I have a horrible character. When they leave I usually feel regret an guilt that I feel so irritated by them. I don’t know how to deal with this. I don’t feel any love, just an obligation and need to make them feel fine. How can I overcome this feeling, and how can I stop feeling stressed when I see them?
You don't have to love your parents. Just because one of your father's sperms fertilized one of your mother's eggs which nine months later became you doesn't mean you have to love them or like them. It doesn't make them your family either. You decide who your family is, and it has nothing to do with biological origins.

Stop feeling obligation toward them, especially since they make you feel so bad. Maybe stop visiting them and stop allowing them to visit you and just communicate via e-mail from now on, or if what you really want is to have them out of your life for good, then do it. You owe them NOTHING.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote