Grand Poohbah

Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 10, 2019 at 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
I think my T is catching onto my Xanax problem. Next week she wants to talk to me about other ways I can cope and I didn’t even really say anything. I had to fill out paperwork that asked if I was on a Benzo and she read the paper and then she asked me how often I take it and I said every other day when really it’s every day. I guess I just hope I’m not taken off it because it really helps with my anxiety.
If they do decide to take you off--it has to be done gradually.

I was taking everyday for a while (2-3 weeks, 1/2 of .5 mg twice a day) because of a stressful issue then when the issue got a bit better and I stopped taking for a couple of days. One morning I felt antsy (skin crawling, couldn't sit still), irritated and just really crappy like I had a hangover. I thought--could it be that I am having withdrawal? I took 1/2 a pill and all those symptoms went away. I am weening myself again (so that I only take 1/2 pill at bedtime 2-4 days a week when I can't get to sleep because I can't stop worrying). They say it is more effective in the long term when you only use it occassionally so you don't build up tolerance. I find Xanax to be a great medication to have for when stressful things that are out of your control happen. None of my psychiatrists have ever questioned my need for them. The one mental health condition that I truly (and obviously to everyone around me) have is generalized anxiety disorder--all the rest of my diagnosis I am unsure about (maybe because they are temporary?) However, I consider Xanax one tool of many to help me cope with my anxiety. I also try to walk, do yoga, relax and distract myself too. I try to reserve the Xanax for when I am at my wit's end.