Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

8 yr Member
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Jul 22, 2019 at 04:28 PM

Hello schmety: Since this is your first post here on PC... welcome to Psych Central.

I'm sorry I don't think I can advise you regarding what you should do. What I can say, though, is that I can relate to the stresses of shift work. Many years ago I worked in a factory where everyone worked rotating shifts (a different shift every week.) It's incredibly difficult, from my perspective, to get really rested under those conditions. And unless one is rested stress is, I believe, inevitable.

Fortunately, when I was doing shift work, I was still a very young man. So I could handle it. Now I'm an older man & I doubt very much I could function with that kind of schedule. I mention this because you mentioned being in your late 40's. Perhaps you're simply getting to a stage in life where it's becoming increasingly difficult to work shifts? Plus you have the problem of the dogs and the difficult people you work with. To my mind, it's a toxic mixture. And, at least based on my experience, a person's ability to tolerate ongoing levels of high stress decreases significantly the older one gets. (Mine is almost gone completely at this late stage of my life.)

I don't know how job opportunities are for middle-aged people where you live. (Age discrimination is alive & well where I live.) However, if it would be possible for you to find more suitable living & employment situations now or in the near future, it might be worth considering. Your ability to tolerate the stresses you're currently dealing with is not likely to improve as you continue to age. At least these are my thoughts with regard to your post. I hope you find PC to be of benefit.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
unaluna