View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Aug 12, 2019 at 07:52 PM

Hello timerider: Thanks for bringing your concern here to PC. I see this is your first post. So... welcome to Psych Central.

You asked if there are any ways to get rid of your fetishes and live a normal healthy life. Unfortunately nothing I have read anywhere suggests there are any reliable ways to rid oneself of fetishes. As far as I can tell the consensus of opinion (both professional as well as amongst people who have fetishes) seems to be that fetishes are mostly normal & not something that requires, or in general responds to, treatment. What does sometimes require treatment is the distress some individuals experience over having a fetish. And this is where the various types of mental health therapy come in. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is one type of therapy I see suggested in some of what I've read.

So at least from my perspective while you may not be able to get rid of your fetishes, if it is possible for you to receive some variety of mental health therapy for the trauma you endured, this may help you to come to terms with what you experienced & to begin to feel better about yourself in general. And if you can accomplish that, then you may be in a better place, psychologically speaking, to cope with your fetishes. And, who knows? Perhaps becoming more psychologically healthy might just make it possible for you to leave your fetishes behind. There's no guarantee that will happen. But just coming to terms with your traumatic experience, it seems to me, has potential value in-&-of itself.

My best wishes to you. I hope you find PC to be of benefit.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote