catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 13, 2019 at 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_crazy View Post
hi. EPS is short for extra-pyramidal (I think...) symptoms or something...its when you get muscle stiffness, stiff gait, dystonic reactions, etc. its the acute/short and mid term reaction. tardive syndromes sometimes develop later on in treatment, more often with the older drugs.

i think all antipsychotics block D2. if its blocked to a point, mania and Schizophrenia get better. blocked too much, EPS. blocked too much for a long time, tardive syndromes. deal with Abilify is that it takes over the D2 receptor, so it blocks it but also partially, mildly stimulates it...so you (ideally, if it works out) get rid of mania, get control over Schizophrenia, but don't get EPS, hopefully no tardive syndromes.

Vraylar is the same way ("D2 Partial Agonist"), but it doesn't stimulate the D2 receptor as much, so its more just straight up blocking it. ugh. not excited.

You know, I read some about Vraylar tonight. Many people find it helpful, and hopefully you will, too. That said...I can definitely understand your concerns. Vraylar sure has a lot of potential issues. Any chance you can ask your pdoc to consider a different med?

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote