View Single Post
Hummingbird1950

Member Since May 2011
66 hugs
given
Default Aug 24, 2019 at 06:45 PM

I get that, I really do. Back when I worked, as long as I had my hair colored, perm and expensive product along with all that makeup I used to wear, I felt ... normal. I even used to iron my clothing, buy Hanes Stockings, wear 3 inch heels and drive a car.

I have a different normal now.... I don't iron and can't iron, I let my hair go platinum and I cut it myself, lol. I wear supportive shoes, no stockings and I no longer drive and I can't see to apply mascara. Yeup, new normal for me.

Then there is the laundry. I have to use our coin operated machines which takes all day to do 3 loads. I'm exhausted going back and forth and by the end of the day, the laundry gets piled up on my bed. I just push it over to climb into bed to sleep and maybe, 3 days later, slowly I put it all away. I used to have it all done in one afternoon, ironed and all put away.

Birdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saidso View Post
I used to go to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent 52 years focused on "earning my living" through working. When I was young I even had a week job, and evening job and a weekend job.

My time was devoted to buying clothes to impress people at work, getting my hair done for work, getting sleep so I would be fresh for work, doing cultural things so that I had something to discuss at work - polishing my ego so that it stood up there with the competition.

All of that gave me confidence, an organised approach to things, and some artistic/ creative things that I loved. I enjoyed work but there was too much time spent sitting in that chair just because I was paid to do so.

I think that I was lucky, nothing in my early life made it inevitable that I would find interesting work that fit with me or that gave me a secure home to live in.

Now since a few months, I don't work... and there has been a period of difficult adjustment to that.

I've let go of continually comparing myself with others and competing with them.
Hummingbird1950 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Goforward, nonightowl, Travelinglady, TunedOut, wing

Thanks for this!
Goforward, nonightowl, Travelinglady, TunedOut