Legendary
Community Liaison

Member Since Jun 2016
70.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 07, 2019 at 04:27 PM

My experience with Mirapex:

I have had severe depressions, first diagnosed as Atypical Major Depression. I was told, for years, that my depression was treatment resistant. I was told, by pdocs to try ECT. I was doing my best to avoid ECT. Later on, two different pdocs have changed my diagnosis to Bipolar II.

My depressions are called "Bipolar Depression." My depressions are very severe. I do not respond to any antidepressant on the market, old or new. I have not responded to this class of meds for many, many years.

Over this past year, my care has been transferred to a new pdoc. She has treated severe depressions which are resistant to standard antidepressants with a medication called Mirapex. She says it is a "miracle drug" for some of her severely depressed patients.*

I was very skeptical. I was so skeptical, I would not intially take this medication. After retrying high-dose combinations of antidepressants, yet again, without any success, I gave in and agreed to try Mirapex.

I felt a huge differerence within the first week of treatment. I was almost immediately much less suicidal. As time went on, I only got better and better!

I still deal with depression; yet, it is relatively mild compared to prior depressions. It took a little bit of time to find the right dose for me. It was well worth it.

I have been taking MIrapex for about 6 months now. Initially, I'd experienced some dizziness and some dry mouth/throat. I also had a bit of nausea and indigestion. I'd treated the GI side-effects with simethicone and ginger ale (Reed's, which has extra ginger). Within 10 days, the GI side-effects had subsided.

I have a lot more energy, both physical and cognitive, and get much more done most days. I now have some hope that I can have a life!

* Not everyone can tolerate the medication. There are reports and anecdotal information that a large percentage of people have such severe GI side-effects that they cannot tolerate this medication. My pdoc shares the fact that any of her patients who can tolerate Mirapex do well. There is a chance that people can become hypomanic/manic with this medication. My pdoc shares that Mirapex is now used in both BPI and BPII. In both conditions, it is important to watch for symptoms of a problematic upswing in mood.

Mirapex does not disturb my sleep. I take Mirapex twice a day. I won't give dosage information, as we are all different.

I hope you have success with Mirapex!

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, still_crazy, yogamarley

Thanks for this!
still_crazy