View Single Post
WastingAsparagus
Student of Life

Member Since Mar 2014
2,911 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 10, 2019 at 11:03 AM

I really appreciated what you posted in my thread about struggling with graduate school, so I'll try to reciprocate.

Motivation is hard for me right now as well, but what I've found that helps is setting a timer for a certain amount and just sitting down and doing what you can do in that period of time. For example, I usually set a timer for 45 minutes then take a 15 minute break. During the break I'm allowed to do whatever the heck I want, even if it involves sitting and doing nothing or ruminating or whatever. I don't need any rules on the break except the obivous rules like don't break the law, etc.

If you are feeling stressed because you don't have the time, make the periods of time shorter. You can still accomplish something in a 25-minute chunk of time. Just make sure you sit down (I don't know what the nature of your schoolwork is) and only focus on the schoolwork for that period.

Also, in my experience, we cannot wait for inspiration or motivation to strike us. We have to have discipline. Then, motivation comes after that. It runs counter to the traditional, pop-culture view of motivation in which we have to wait for inspiration or motivation to strike us, then we go write the next great American novel or whatever.

Motivation comes as a consequence of action.

I am definitely not trying to minimize the fact that you're working a lot of hours at your job. That is a ton to balance. Is there any way you could cut down on hours at work? Or delegate some of the tasks to others? (Once again, I don't know what the nature of your job is).

I have had some med changes too recently and it cost me in terms of schoolwork. Luckily I was able to put off two final assignments until the end of the year because the people at the school were understanding.
WastingAsparagus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote