View Single Post
Anonymous35014

Default Sep 11, 2019 at 05:59 AM

Yeah, I agree with MoxieDoxie -- you should ask the therapist if s/he has worked with patients who have symptoms similar to yours.

Also, you should look up the therapist online. I'm not talking about researching where they live etc., but since I see you're in the U.S., there are usually profiles on Psychology Today and sites like that where therapists say what they "specialize" in.

See here: Find a Therapist, Psychologist, Counselor - Psychology Today

Optionally, you can also look up a therapists' licensure to see if there are any formal complaints about him/her if you're concerned about that sort of thing. I find that I don't really need to do that, but it's an option if you've had bad experiences with therapists in the past, where the therapist has violated some code of conduct.

Finally, look up some reviews. People are more likely to post negative reviews than positive reviews. So, if a therapist doesn't have any reviews or any positive reviews, I wouldn't take that negatively. However, if the therapist does have lots of negative reviews, I'd take that into consideration.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: there is A LOT of information out there on the web that you can utilize in determining which therapists you even want to consider interviewing. It's good to have a background on the therapist before you even meet with him/her. I did that myself.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote