View Single Post
susannahsays
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 11, 2019 at 08:36 AM

I don't know, I think you could ask all the questions in the world and still end up with a bad fit. If you've had several therapists who have all done something that was problematic, you could have a question about that. On the other hand, I don't know if asking a question where you say that you have had a problem in the past with it will yield an honest answer. For example, if you asked the therapist if she is a good listener and can accept it if you say she has misunderstood you, she is sure to say yes - because who wouldn't? I'm sure even your last therapist, who didn't listen, misunderstood, and refused to be enlightened about her misunderstanding would have claimed this and most likely believed it, too.

There are some questions that can screen out people that would be a bad fit based on facts. For example, I would not see a therapist that I could not contact directly - they would need to have at minimum an office voicemail. I would not be ok with having to go through the receptionist for everything or if I wanted to leave a message, nor would a third party relay service be acceptable to me. I would not want to see a therapist who regularly went on vacations that meant I would have more than 10 days between sessions. It seems many people on PC have therapists who go away for 2+ weeks or even months at a time, multiple times per year. That is of course the right of the therapist. I just wouldn't want to see one that would be away that much. I also wouldn't want to see one who was overbooked and couldn't see me for the number of sessions I wanted - and I also wouldn't see one who insisted on making the decision on the number of sessions I would have.

I think you've said you have had several therapists before. Maybe you can come up with a list of things you liked about them and a list of things that didn't work so well for you. That could help clarify what is important for you in a therapist. In the end, though, as I mentioned before, I'm not sure questions can ensure a good fit. I would ask a few questions based on things that would be deal-breakers, and if she passes those tests, proceed. I definitely wouldn't give her as many sessions to make a determination as the last one, though - unless you're feeling ambivalent but still open rather than bad. Ambivalence doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad fit, imo, just depends. But if you don't like her, just don't go back. Two or three sessions should be enough. And if she's awful the first session, it's fine to bail.

Thanks for this!
ArtleyWilkins, LonesomeTonight, SlumberKitty