View Single Post
susannahsays
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 11, 2019 at 09:12 AM

Yeah, I think knowing how she handles anger is a good one.

As for coming up with a scenario, that's a good idea, but the thing about impulsivity is that it can't be detected based on a theoretical situation because the trigger won't be present. So if she is the type to make impulsive treatment decisions, asking her what she would do when you are interviewing her is not really a similar scenario if that makes sense. I could be projecting, though, based on my own issues with impulsivity.

I'm getting the impression that your fear is that she will be like the last therapist and due to your aversion of confrontation, you will get stuck seeing her for a bunch of sessions like with the last one. I just want to remind you that you do have the power to walk away, and hard as it was, you were able to do so with the last one. With this next one, you don't have to see her a second longer than you want to. Try to remember that even though you find it difficult, you do have the capacity to endure conflict and come out of it ok. You did a great job with the last therapist of asserting yourself. Maybe focusing on avoiding even the possibility of having to do that again just builds up your anxiety or fear around conflict. It might be more helpful when you start having thoughts about this next therapist being like the last one to tell yourself that it won't be a catastrophe because you are capable of handling it and removing yourself from the situation - it will be unfortunate if it doesn't work out, but you know how to handle it because you have done so before.