View Single Post
MrsA

Member Since Apr 2019
398 hugs
given
Default Sep 11, 2019 at 04:23 PM

My door doesn't have a lock. I have considered installing one but it felt kind of rude to start locking my door after we had pretty much lived together our entire lives.

I only started suspecting that my sister has ADHD a few years ago when I read a post by a blogger who had ADHD describing how she often ran into walls or stationary objects which happens a lot with my sister and results in daily temper tantrums (I posted previously about how she screams profanity all day and raises her voice to make sure I hear it when I'm in my room or outside). I read up on the symptoms and it would explain her extreme bullying, dangerous recklessness, lack of emotional regulation, and disproportionate blowups over things normal people deal with every day like washing their own dishes or picking up after their pets.

The thing that makes it much worse is that some natural ability runs in our family so a narcissistic stepfather promoted my sister as a genius who was perfect and made her expect preferential treatment and no accountability. She was older than me and about 30-40 lbs bigger and she would bully me in ways that made me fear for my life and our stepfather said I had mental problems if I couldn't react positively to my sister's physical and verbal bullying. In school, she bragged about not having to study or practice instruments like other students and got angry when she didn't get special attention or if I received better grades or recognition. So most of the time she seems to just be a narcissist like the stepfather she modeled herself on, but other times the recklessness and lack of impulse control like barging into my bedroom or going into a screaming tantrum when having to help with housework at age 40 seems like ADHD.

She is also so reckless (pushing, shoving, throwing) that I don't dare have power tools or sharp objects around her. Last year she shoved a refrigerator so that it nearly fell on top of me a few minutes after I told her not to push it because there was a high risk of the fridge tipping when going down the threshold to the garage. After nearly killing me, she thinks saying "I forgot" in a really defensive way absolves her of all responsibility. She is also an impulsive pusher so I never stand at the edge of train platforms, cliffs, or staircases when she's nearby. That's the scary thing I dealt with my whole life. it's like living with a giant toddler who doesn't think she's loud but screams at pets to shut up when they react to her inappropriate shouting. Any minute, I could get whacked in the head by things like baseball bats, surfboards, or whatever she happens to be carrying and she'll say it's unreasonable to expect her to control accidents.

I've been worried and embarrassed my whole life because she falls down at social occasions (yelling "WHOA!" and ending up with her feet in the air while wearing a dress) and often causes accidents or breaks things (like a window) while in other people's homes. As a college student, I had to talk her out of wearing jeans and a t-shirt to attend the wedding of a mutual friend. She says things like dressing appropriately or being more careful are "boring". I've been trying to find out if you can force dangerous and abusive adults to get ADHD screening or If she will only be willing to consider ADHD as a legal defense after she murders me one day.
MrsA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Abusedbysister, possum220