View Single Post
Daonnachd
Magnate

Member Since Feb 2006
3,379 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 16, 2019 at 08:09 PM

I started ECT in March of 2015. To begin I had a couple weeks of treatments every other day for the intensive introductory series. It may even have been three weeks of that schedule, I don't remember. After that my schedule was increasingly spaced out to the point that now my maintenance treatments come every four weeks.

BirdDancer has described the procedure well. I would only add that since they are inducing a seizure in your brain they also monitor your brainwaves to determine the length of the seizure and thus the success of the procedure. In fact, I once had a seizure of only a few seconds, well under a minute, so my doc kept me hooked up and induced a second one. That one was closer to my usual 90 second response and she was happy with it.

The other thing that is different in my experience from BirdDancer's is the fact that I get bilateral treatments. Unilateral, when we've tried it, simply didn't do anything for me. Yes, bilateral seems to create more and bigger memory holes, but I consider that a reasonable trade-off.

Given that unilateral has grown into the industry standard (though bifrontal is also gaining popularity) if anyone has questions about bilateral I'm happy to field them.

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341