Grand Poohbah

Member Since Sep 2013
2,626 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 28, 2019 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy2466 View Post
Im now in my 30’s and I gotta say that I wish I went and got professional help sooner. I have come to the realization that I must not only cut ties with my narcissistic stepmother but also my half sister also. I was emotionally and physically abused by my stepmom my whole life since I was about 3 years old but the physical stuff stopped during my teens at some point. I once was somewhat successful in life but have quickly lost everything and my will to fight for my happiness. I lack a support team in my life as well which makes it even more difficult. I am here to say that it’s very admirable and brave what you did by getting rid of the toxic people of your family. You deserve to be happy just like everyone else and don’t let anyone (including family members) take that away from you. I wish you the best and I’m so sorry you experienced this type of treatment.
You are very wise and your hard earned insight certainly can help others! Nothing prepares us for these things; under normal 'healthy' circumstances, our family are the ones we should be able to trust and lean on for support. It is such a travesty when we should be abused by them. I am heartbroken to hear that you have endured so much at the hands of your family. You never deserved it. None of us did. And yet, we survived to share our insights and make the world a better place!

Thinking back to when you were a child and you were surrounded by all this abuse, what do you suppose you would tell your child self to convince you that staying in those relationships is unhealthy and abusive. In other words; how do you convince someone that their family is the source of so much of their suffering and that stepping away (even though it seems counter-intuitive) is quite possibly, the only thing standing in the way of living a healthy life?

Thanks,
HD7970ghz

"don't put all your eggs - in one basket"
"promote pleasure - prevent pain"
"with change - comes loss"
HD7970GHZ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote