View Single Post
anxious gemini

Member Since Feb 2019
Default Oct 02, 2019 at 11:48 PM

I was kind of shocked when I saw this post, because I also was raised by emotionally neglectful parents, and both my older siblings are on the autism spectrum. My sister has always been high functioning, but my brother struggled a lot when we were younger, and while I totally understood that he needed the support and attention more than me, it was clear from a very young age that I wasn't a priority at all to my parents. I've never seen anyone else talk about this experience - every time I've tried to talk about it with past therapists they end up telling me I'm selfish or narcissistic like my mother, because how could I blame my brother for the emotional neglect I experienced as a child? But I don't, not really. It's just hard to frame my understanding of my childhood experiences and CEN without thinking that my siblings' needs contributed to my parents behavior toward me, because even though I'm the youngest in my family, I was a smart kid and my mother took that to mean I was old enough to care for myself when I was still in elementary school and I was too mature to need support.

DX: Bipolar II with Rapid Cycling
Social Anxiety Disorder
Depersonalization Disorder
Binge Eating Disorder
Maladaptive Daydreaming

RX: Lamictal 200 mg
Zoloft 50 mg
Wellbutrin XL 150 mg
Seroquel 200 mg
Prozac 20 mg
anxious gemini is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from: