View Single Post
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 05, 2019 at 05:36 AM

I would not have classified myself as having an ed. I would say I had disordered eating. I always carried extra weight and had metabolism issues so weight was a struggle growing up. I was always very active and social. I would sometimes try different diets and fasting/not eating. I learned about bulimia in HS and 'tried' it so I could eat what I wanted. I never binged but I would have periods where I felt like I couldnt control my food choices and then I would throw up. This eventually ended up being a food issue and the throwing up stopped. I went through periods of accepting that I couldnt make good food choices and being very strict. After my first child I held on to the extra 60 lbs and then kept on gaining through each pregnancy. By 08' I was 300lbs and had the roux-n-y gastric bypass. It saved my life because it forced portion control and helped me develop sensitivity to things like sugar and fat so I couldnt tolerate it much.
What I wanted to share was what has happened to me because of the bulimia that I never thought of when I was doing it.
I am 44 now. I have Barretts esophogus in addition to reflux I developed due to obesity. The Barretts is from the constant flow of stomach acid into my throat and esophogus. I never knew about it until 5 years ago and by chance when checking for other things they found it with an endoscopy. I now have to take medicine every night to control the acid. I have to have biopsies every year and when they due find some cancer cells they have to scrape them away. I cant drink or eat things like OJ. I wanted to my teeth are wearing out and I have almost no enamel left. The complications of bulimia are real and you will not realize it sometimes for years.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote