View Single Post
Anonymous42119

Default Oct 08, 2019 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteraryLark View Post
I believe the best way to improve writing is through reading. Read everything you can, starting from the classics to more modern literature.

I've never used "a priori," "de facto," and "a posteriori" in a sentence or paper. Ever. And I consider myself a highly skilled writer.
@LiteraryLark

I've seen those Latin phrases in peer-reviewed papers on occasion. I am just curious why the author(s) chose to use those words, as opposed to alternative words/phrases. I also wondered if those words are warranted, given the statistical analyses they were describing.

My goal is to learn how to be a better writer for peer-reviewed papers (scientific papers). This is why I thought of those words. Plus, I like cool words like that. --I know that sounds silly, but, like a child, I want to learn how to use them and when to use them and why I'd be using them.

I also want to learn how to be more economical with my writing, and to be more parsimonious. I'm verbose, and that's a horrible character flaw of mine. I explain too much, and it's probably due to a combo of things, including my anxiety, my low confidence at times, my fears, etc.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote