View Single Post
Anonymous42119

Default Oct 09, 2019 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteraryLark View Post
WOW! That was very informative and well thought out. I really liked your response.
@LiteraryLark

Thank you! As a smoker, I have to admit my addictions, and I feel responsible to concede that the concerns of nonsmokers and never-smokers are valid. I also have to admit my wrongdoings and how I unintentionally (but still) harm others with my secondhand smoke, not to mention the olfactory senses that all of us deal with when smelling (often disgusting) ash from smoking. Ironically, I hate the smell of smoke, yet I'm addicted.

My addiction began from being handed patient cigarettes for free in a psych ward when I was depressed after having given my daughter up for adoption, and after I was threatened with a year of involuntary commitment if I didn't leave my room or remained depressed. Their suggestion was for me to get free patient cigarettes and go out on smoke breaks so that I can be released - with referrals, but unfortunately none for my newfound smoking and nicotine addictions. I hated smoking before, but I used it then as a way to escape being involuntarily committed as well as a form of self-punishment for my failing at motherhood. I wasn't in any system, I gave my daughter up for adoption willingly because I wanted her to have a better, stable, and healthier life without witnessing my pain or my disabilities. Anyway, those are NOT excuses for my addiction, as I chose that route, though I wish I had better choices while in-patient. Today, I think they have abolished free patient cigarettes in most psych wards, but the problem of smoking as self-medicating for anxiety remains.

I don't meant to offend anyone with my answers, and I respect various views on vaping and smoking, even if I don't agree with all the points made, and even though people may flat out disagree with my points of view. I'm totally okay with that. Disagree, make arguments, and voice your opinions - because I do respect that, and I'm willing to have an open mind about all of this. But this is where I stand, humbly, as an admitted addict of smoking and nicotine.

I am working on my recovery issues one step at a time, so in the interim, I'm sorry to those who are affected by my smoking and nicotine addictions.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LiteraryLark

Thanks for this!
LiteraryLark