View Single Post
Anonymous42119

Default Oct 09, 2019 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post
I don't view substance abuse as an either-or; it's not about one is worse than the others. All are unhealthy, all abuse body and mind, and all substance abuse causes serious physical and mental health problems - in addition to destroying connections, attachment, and love.
@BethRags

You make a great point about not comparing one to the other in terms of their destroying relationships.

In my humble admission of being addicted to smoking and nicotine, I realized that I destroy connections when I'm around nonsmokers (recovered) and never-smokers who wish to not absorb those toxins in their skin, clothing, nostrils, eyes, celia cells, etc. It's harmful to the environment, to humans, to animals, and simply not pleasant to be around. My attachments are obstructed by the use of cigarettes and my addiction to them. It's hard to love someone who smells disgusting or is harming them with secondhand smoke. It's even harder when my friends with medical conditions or with allergies to smoke are affected when they are around me, and it is understandable why they avoid me (we tend to talk by phone or online, but some of my friendships have gone by the wayside because of my smoking).

Many jobs require that employees do not smoke or smell like smoke, just like it is viable for employers to ask employees to refrain from using perfume on the job. Some people get migraines from it, and it is best not to wear perfume during work or for an interview. The same goes for smoke residue. Smoke residue lingers.

The benefits from vaping, however, are supposedly not smelling like smoke residue. I can see that. However, the side effects for non-vapers are unknown, and the effects of losing someone who died from vaping are also sad and traumatic for those who cared about the relationships of those who vaped (whether they were aware of their vaping or not). The survivors of vape deaths are experiencing grief/loss issues, and that is concerning.

Even overeating, which I sometimes do, can be problematic in relationships. If I spend too much time overeating or eating in secret instead of socializing, that hinders relationships. I can see that. If my health is deteriorating because of my addiction to comfort food at certain times, I can see that affecting my friendships. I can also see that being similar to peer deviancy, insofar that those with eating issues may congregate in binge eating on more than holiday occasions, which only brings about reinforcements to unhealthy living, as opposed to learning to eat in moderation, eat healthy, actively do some activity (not necessarily exercise), etc. Obesity as a result of medical conditions and not addictions, however, is somewhat of a controversial topic, though I believe that obesity alone isn't an issue, so long as it doesn't promote unhealthy living, isolation, unhealthy social learning through addiction habits, etc. Of course, there are limits to this, as food is a necessity and a strong part of culture, and around Thanksgiving or the holidays, it's hard to say no to a second serving of yummy treats. But for stuffing my own emotions with food at times, which I admittedly do on occasion, I realize this is unhealthy and will affect my relationships - especially the relationship to myself.

So yes, you bring up a good point. This is actually helping me prepare for healthier living, including quitting smoking and stuffing my emotions with food at times. We all need such encouragement and eye-openers, I think.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*

Thanks for this!
*Beth*